CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Catcher first half.

So far, this book is extremely boring, and very slow paced. Maybe I just haven't gotten up to anything exciting. I don't like how it is almost written in a stream of conscienceness because it jumps around too much, and makes it very difficult to understand what exactly is going on. So far, I think that Mr. Spencer is a good influence on Holden because he pushes him to try and stay in school, and work hard and not fail so many classes. I feel that when we first learned about Holden and his life with his peers, it feels like he wants nothing to do with them. It shows that he doesn't want to be social, and wants to be left alone most of the time. Though he might have friends, he doesn't put any effort into the relationships he holds with them. This could possibly show us that something happen in his past that makes him unsocial. And that could be the reason why he doesn't like talking about his past. Maybe it had something to do with his brother, because that was a very touchy subject when he briefly talked about it. Also, I think that many of the kids at his school are very smart, and perfect, and that puts pressure onto Holden, who might not be that intelligent to not try to do so well, because he knows that he can't be as good as them. (&& every time they talk about how he's the manager of the fencing team i think of Uriel..just thought I'd throw that out there) Then we find out about his brother. That really threw me off. I didn't see that coming, and could definetly see why Holden acts the way he does. If he was really close with his brother, then I would be pretty traumatized, and be scared the rest of my life. Also, having to watch him suffer through those stages, could also potentially hurt Holden. I think that Holden has to go to therapy. (maybe he could join Esther) but he really needs to work the way he expresses his emotions. He's not very good at it, and is constantly taking them out on other people. IF he could just talk to people about being stressed, and having all these crazy emotions all mixed up, it could really help him, so it doesn't lead him to do something stupid, that he would regret.
I hope this book gets better. yay for memorial day break! only one post lefft!

2 comments:

EE said...

I feel bad that you don't like the book because I am actually loving it. On your point that Holden wants to be unsocial, I completely agree. If he was close with his brother, the severed relationship would be devastating for him. I don't necessarily think that Holden doesn't want to be around people and make friends, but I think that he doesn't want to get too invested in a friendship that could emotionally scar him again.
I disagree that Holden doesn't express his emotions. Although he attempts to hide his emotions beneath his sarcasm, as the reader, I still understand how he feels, even though his feelings are not directly confronted.
I hope you start enjoying the book. Have fun this LOOOOOONG weekend! :)

ghettoladay said...

I agree with alot. and i lOVEEEEEE yo conection with fencing and URIEL (i think the sameeee) lol i agree with your connection with his personality and brother. however i have to say that i think its impossible for him to emote the way you say he should.... i think he is mentally unequipped to talk about his feelings or express his emotions, i think he's too depressed to really talk about himself in that way. but otherwise NICEEE bloggg and i'm totally with u that i hope things will get better

uriel 08