CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The awakening (or not)

I am so happy that this book is over. It was slow moving, and too dramatic. I think that Edna has a lot of family issues. She no longer spends time with her family, or children, and on the days that she would spend at home on Tuesdays, she no longer does. Also, she does not want to go to her sisters wedding (which I don't really understand? Its her own sister....) I think her turning into an artist, helps her to escape and to relax a little from her crazy world. Another reason why I think she paints is because she needs a confidence booster. She is always after people to compliment her. I feel she is very self-conscience, and needs someone to always be there telling her what a good job she is doing. One of the reasons why Edna is beginning to separate from Mr. P and the family is because he is never at home with her, and is always at the club, or on business trips. I think Edna needs the love and care like a little child does. She is constantly craving attention, by starting drama, or being depressed. When Mr. P leaves on his trip to New York, I think it finally hits Edna that she doesn't appreciate what she has, and doesn't see what she has until its all gone. Before Mr. P left for his trip, when they had the Dr. over, and he figured out that Edna was seeing someone else && that he said that he doesn't want to know anyone else secrets, it relates to Nannies today. (they were talking about it on the radio today, thats why I brought it up.) The Nannies in modern life don't want to know the secrets that are going on with the families they work with , because some times it can mess things up between the wife and the husband if something does get out, and no one wants to be the person to split up a wedding. But anyways, back to when Mr. P left, and Edna was home alone. When she was cleaning out the garden, and realizing what a great life she has, she was taking her life from a new aspect, and wanted change. So by cleaning out the garden, it showed the change that she is going through into a strong independent women. Of course she falls for Arobin, but than freaks out on him and leaves. I think the biggest thing that made Edna the independent person she is, is when she moves out. That was big for people in that time, and not many people did. By moving out, she claimed her own territory, and became someone she wanted to be.
I think the title of the book shows that she is waking herself up, and seeing that she is unhappy with the life that shes living. she can't be independent, and do what she wants to do. She is not happy when she is with her family, and have the burden of a family, and a husband. She need to be free, and I think thats why she likes the water so much. The water lets you be free, and have complete control over your body. You can just float away, and let reality leave. When I'm in the water, at swim practice, it is my escape from my life because at that time I can just let myself free, and not think about anything.
So happy this book is over =]

0 comments: